Sunday, March 15, 2009

Report for October, Linh


I went to Thailand on 30th September. This was the first time I went aboard and I went alone, so it was ineluctable with the nervous feeling. My flight to Thailand was smooth and safe. It was quite lucky for me when I found the women who picked up me at the airport. She showed a sign board with the name Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) on it and gave me a warming welcome. It took us 1 hour to travel from airport to AIT campus.


Three weeks in AIT was a long time and also a short time for me. That was a long time with my not really good English, I couldn’t talk and communicate much with all participants, I could neither enjoy entirely with all sessions. The schedule was so full that I didn’t have enough time to go to the library, even I was delivered the library card, to go around some shopping centers and enjoy real atmosphere in Thailand. That time was also so short because when I felt friendlier with all participants, FK members and teachers, I had to say goodbye with them.


In October, I had two important periods of time, one was three weeks in AIT and another was the time in my country before I left it for Hong Kong.


It is so difficult for me to describe about my memories about the time I had in AIT. Before coming to Thailand, I thought there would have 4 participants who came from Vietnam, Srilanka, Hong Kong and Philippines in CAI-Asia’s project. However, it was not the same. There were twenty five participants from 10 countries. They arranged for me to stay with Karen who come from Philippines and went to Vietnam in November. She was my nice and sweet roommate. She speaks English very well and also she taught me a lot. I am an only Vietnamese participant, but I didn’t feel alone, because all participants were very friendly and open-mined. The schedule for three weeks was so perfect with many indoor and out door activities (but if the schedule had been little less full it would have been better). They arranged for us to get acquainted together in very natural way. In the first day when all participants already came, we had a group photograph and coffee break to know each other. After that we joined a very nice game, each person had one chair, and we drew other person. I drew some details on the face of one participant and then moved the paint for somebody to continue after about 1 minute. One after another, all participants had own painting from some person’s drawing and then we could introduce about our self with all. It was really nice. Many paintings looked fun and in fact they didn’t look like the face of participants. :)

For me, in the first some days, I was a little bit scared because it was the first time I talked with many foreigners like that. However, after outdoor and indoor building activities and participants-partners meeting, I became more confident, shared and enjoyed more activities with all participants. I could remember the day we had outdoor team games clearly. Our team had 8 persons presented for CAI-Asia with partners and participants. “We want clean air, now!” was our slogan. All of us jumped and clapped, even Mrs. Glynda, Prof. Wing Tat, and Dr. Tung. I was made a real impression on other team games.


In the three weeks, we had a series of sessions with many topics: coping with personal challenges during the exchange program; FK exchange alumni sharing; Fredskorpset and its network; Poverty alleviation and sustainable development concepts/principles/strategies; Participatory approach in community development; Effective cross-cultural communication practices; Adaptation and adjustment to new environment; Responsibility and accountability; The roles and responsibilities of a development worker; Gender responsiveness in development; Special session on HIV/AIDS; Protection and promotion of human rights; Basic emergency response; International travel health and personal security aspects…three weeks with many different knowledge in many various fields. In the first week, it was very hard for me to hear and understand all. However, FK and teachers made a really good atmosphere for enjoying sessions and changing the air. Before starting each session, normally they organized a game which sometimes was given by participants who went to the class late. At 10:00 -10:30 am and 3:00 – 3:30 pm, we always had a coffee break and an interesting task “walk and talk”. “Walk and talk” is the program for all participants. We were arranged to walk and talk to someone for each coffee break and then change the talking partner in next turn. It was useful. After some coffee breaks we became very friendly and understood more about each other. :)


Each session had from one to two teamwork activities. The teachers gave the topic, we had to discuss in the group and give the best answers for writing on the boards. If someone didn’t understand something, FK members always sat beside and help. They were very enthusiastic and nice. All participants could join these activities, gave their own ideas and had a chance to present the answers of their groups. For me, my group always encouraged me to present, therefore I became little bravely.


Each day was an opportunity for two participants to give their reflections and insights. “No need to repeat the questions, the previous sessions, just go through the point and explain”, Mr. Reynaldo, the project Coordinator of the FK Preparatory Course, repeated many times like that for all. Accordingly, all reflections and insights were very succinct and effective. A lot of new knowledge for me, the first time I found the roles and responsibilities of development workers and I am a development worker, all participant are the key of this program


The best memories with me were two days in home-stay. Each participant lived in each Thai family in a village which was far from AIT. My host family has four members. Mother, father (the owner told me to call like that), and two children. I got friendly very fast with one child, his name is Boom. He protected me from five dogs (I always fear dogs) and brought me to go around that place. I took for him many pictures and he took for me also even when I slept. He liked taking photos. Anytime when I raised my camera, he smiled and created a good form immediately. An interesting thing was happened. The first sight when the owner met me, she couldn’t recognize me because she said I didn’t look like in the picture she had. I looked more beautiful than in the picture and one girl had to help me to tell her. It was so fun for me. In two days in home-stay, I slept in the bed with “mother”. She cooked for me many Thai foods and taught me some Thai words about fruits. Before leaving home-stay she gave me some gifts which she made by herself. All we brought to home-stay were only some words “sa wa di kha” (hello), “khap khuon kha”(thank you) and our hearts, but all of us had a very nice time. We took many group photos as the way to store our memories.


Besides lessons, outdoor and indoor activities, home-stay, we had some social and cultural activities. We had a big party on a boat, had a chance to see many nice views along the river at night. All participants had a true party with singing and dancing. I didn’t join dancing but I took many photos for them. I thought it was one way to enjoy. We also had nice times in the seaside resort and Grand Palace.



For me, one activity I couldn’t forget was the country information presentations. All participants had to give the presentation about the host country which they will come. We are divided into 10 groups according the host country. Normally, each group had from 2 to 3 participants, but some had only one. Our group had two members, me and Bimalka who come from Srilanka. It took us 3 nights to make the presentations. All worked very passionately and our presentation might be the most colorful one. All presentations became the background for taking pictures, and the most popular taking poster was the presentation about Vietnam. It was fresh and beautiful. It was the idea from my roommate, Karen.


It was very difficult for all of us when we have to say goodbye on the last day. Gifts and tears made us closer. At that time, three weeks became so short, we wanted more time together. We gave many best wishes for each other during the time on the host country and we hoped the time to go back AIT will come soon.


I went back to Vietnam on 21st October. While I was waiting for my working visa, I had to finish all of my works in office. My visa came quite late than I expected. But it was also good. I had more time with my family, my friends and my colleagues, and I could meet Kikay who is one of the participants, come from Philippines and had already come to Vietnam after three weeks in AIT. I visited her place, brought her to go out for visit some places, go along some beautiful streets in Ha Noi and also go with her to buy some necessary things. We enjoyed some foods and she said she really liked them.


October became the special month with me. I had many feelings and it changed me a lot. The first time going aboard with many nice memories provided more knowledge for me to live and adapt to the new environment in Hong Kong.


I am graceful to FK, to my organization and all for giving me this change. Simply, this is the record accurately my feelings and I hope this can be considered as a monthly report for October.

4 comments:

  1. Linh,

    I enjoyed your blog "Clean Air and Blue Skies Asia Exchange."

    I especially liked your comments about your best memories with your home-stay family and closeness with Boom who helped you with your fear of dogs.

    I encourage you to continue to tell others about your positive home-stay experience.

    If you ever follow-up this blog or endeavor to write a new blog about home-stay, please feel free to contact us as a resource for information.

    We, International Homestay America, currently provide Homestay services for visitors to the Northern California cities of Sacramento, Berkeley, and San Francisco.

    Kudos and thank you for your blog!

    Dwayne
    Homestay Coordinator
    International Homestay America
    info@iha-usa.com
    www.iha-usa.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment Dwayne! This blog is actually dedicated to experiences from four of our exchange fellows sent to different countries for a period of 10 months. All of them had to go through home stays as part of their preparatory course. We're glad you came by to visit =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey linh,
    After read your home stay experience i remember my home stay days...

    shankardrik.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Sankar. Thanks for your reading. We had a really nice time in AIT. I will never forget. Keep writing, friend.

    ReplyDelete