Saturday, March 7, 2009

Language is no longer a barrier -Brief stay in the Thai home
Bimalka October 2008

The home stay activities aimed to expose the participants to cross cultural environment that enable to practice our cross-cultural communication skills. It gave us better understanding about cultural adaptation and adjustment to a new environment during our brief stay in the Thai home. We were spread in rural villages in the province of Chachoengsao (about 150km from AIT to spend two days in homes of Thai hosts. Chachoengsao is located on the bank of the Bang Pakong River and people are mainly involved in the Agriculture and Aquaculture (Inland shrimp farming and fishing).

We were expected to perform all activities that the host arranged to us. In my case Thai host was underprivileged people where their dwelling was situated on dirty water body, no chairs or tables in the house. Rain water is collected for drinking purposes and toilet facilities were very primitive. They were unable to communicate in English and with the little Thai language I learnt and the sheet provided by AIT and lectures we learnt was very useful during my stay. “Sawatdee” (Greetings) and “Khrap / Kha” (Thank you) was very useful words to me. I made Thai sweets (Kanom thai thai, Koniyan Sankaya) and food packs (Kaniuowana pahan ) with the host family to sell these items in the market. Further I went to the field with them and collected green leaves (Paka cheath) that float in the water bodies and packed them in such a way to sell it in the market.

It was horrifying on the second night, when I clean my mattress before sleeping; there was a long slippery lizard cruelled under my pillow. It must have come inside due to heavy rain in the evening. It was a great experience for me to adopt my self to live with limited resources and comforts. Thai host family became very friendly with me and offered me delicious Thai food (famous traditional Thai food including “Tom yam”, Papaya salad, fried fish and Thai style shrimp soup etc..). They were warm, loving & caring and I realized that Language is no longer a barrier for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment