Monday, March 21, 2011

Week TWO: I’m loving it!

Another appealing week to my count!

The second week was more like recalling my past memories of school. I still remember during the school days, we used to wait for the bell ring of the lunch time to just get into play; similar kind of feeling arose here. Every lunch time, a group of people are gathered at the table-tennis court room, of course to play. I am joining them and doing a bit of practice and playing. It’s really fun! Usually it is a group of 7 to 9. I am playing table tennis after long. I was into it, when I was very young around 9 or 10. I used to play with my uncles and friends back at home in a nearby park-

Another thing that I discovered this week was that they also play volleyball. Yeahh!! It sounds so exciting. We used to play in college and our batch mates and seniors used to make us practice and prepare for the matches. I just miss them a lot, those times! After playing volleyball in college, I think I played it in Hat-Yai during the HOME STAY part of our Prep Course. It was fun to play with FK frens and with the mothers of our Host Family then, but this time I was with a new team- but with as much excitement as it always brings. Oh ya, I also had a good time with the volleyball with few Sri Lankan friends.
What I like the most is they get time after work to get involved in these activities. And I’m really loving it

Down to Work:
For this week, my task was on Data Processing. The samples are analyzed using EDX X-Ray Fluorescence Spectrometer. I worked on the data generated from the XRF which used Ca, Ge and Zr as Secondary targets. I was involved in doing Spectrum fitting using AXIL (Analysis of X-ray spectra by Iterative Least Squares fitting), a subprogram in QXAS (Quantitative X-ray Analysis System developed by International Atomic Energy Agency and Quantitative Analysis of Environmental Samples (QAES) program.

Benj Roa, my counterpart who is posted in Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong came to PNRI to discuss on the Air Quality research scheduled few months later in the Philippines and find out potential scope for partnership for the research.

On the 15th March, I attended a Stakeholders Consultation on Metro Manila Traffic and Transport organized by Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA). It was a good opportunity for me to learn about their transport challenges and afterwards proposed priority action from the stakeholders.


Leaving you with few pictures from the Metro Manila Traffic and Transport Consultation :)








No comments:

Post a Comment