Sunday, March 13, 2011

Week 1: Getting into NEW team

Week ONE: Getting into a NEW Team

As you have known that I was keen in joining in my new assignment, Finally, I joined on March 7, 2011 Monday! Here is how I went through the first week in PNRI.

The very first day was about the orientation. I had had two orientations on the same day, the first one by Mr. Michael Hernandez, from Human Resources Management and Record and Communication Unit. To be honest, I was not expecting a detail presentation but he proved me wrong. He gave me a details presentation about the organization starting from history, its mandate, vision, mission, organizational function and all- you can say. I had gone through some information from the website but it was a very useful time for me, knowing more about the organization I am going to be affiliated for a couple of months. I have to know and fit into feet into the new shoe. Also, more relevant for me was the details on the OJT- what they call in short for On the Job Training Program. And, my affiliation is of this kind. Of course, the rules and regulations explained later were good to know. Then I knew about the office hours (7a-5:30p). I was thinking why so long?? But that was not applicable to me. I had to report to my assignment so my supervisor would be the one directing me about my reporting time. I am given a time sheet for DTR (daily time record)- and I have to get it signed from the guard in duty every time I enter and exit the office!! Yess…

In the office, they have dress color code> I immediately asked with Mr. Michael if I need to follow, well that is for staffs, not an obligation for me. But then I thought I can try to follow the thing they are doing-after all I am a part in there! So I checked the color for each day-

Monday- white> Tuesday- yellow> Wednesday-Purple> Thursday- Green and for Friday-Free..for color!!

After the first orientation, we went out for a lunch..it’s got to be Sea Food Island! Yup- my first impression- I liked the waiters in “Pirates” look..hehe ;)

I liked the way the food was served! Big big tray or plate- food in the middle in the banana leaf..and everybody can serve to their side! Ma Sarap..talaga!! (Eng translàtion- really very delicious)

Shortly back after lunch, I had another orientation by Ms. Sony Pabroa. It was basically to introduce with the division and unit I am affiliated and to also with the team working there. I am in the Nuclear Analytical Techniques Application (NATA), Nuclear Services Division. This unit not only works for AIR which I am into but also work in the Water and Food sectors. Details on the presentation included more on AIR for me ! to have a better idea on what they are doing, and also the science and techniques behind that.

DOWN TO WORK

I started off with some of the work as well:

1. Filter Preparation:
~I learned how to assemble filter in SFU, how and where to place it and pre-requisites of this.
~The filters should be kept in room temperature for about 24 hours.
~Coarse filter is placed on the upper part while the fine filter in the inner part, while placing the filter- the shiny part of the filter should be placed upward(outwards).

2. Calibrating Microbalance
~Microbalance is used to weigh the filter- to get initial weight of the filter and weight of the exposed filter.
~Before using this, micro balance should be warm up for about 30 minutes i.e., keep it on for 30 minutes before weighing.

3. Weighing of filter paper
~Then the weight of the balance both for 50 micro gram and 10 micro gram is calibrated!
~Finally the weight of filter is taken



So, week one went well with the new exciting team.

P>S> Photos to be uploaded soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment